Most people will have been fortunate enough to have never encountered too many pests in their home. Certainly, most people will have had to deal with the occasional spiders or cockroach. However, few people have to face a rat’s nest, or a bee hive in their property. Needless to say, it’s a terribly stressful and scary situation, that many people dread the thought of. But, what would you do in that situation? Are you prepared?
In this article, we’re going to go through the relevant steps that you should take in the event of an infestation. Read on and prepare yourself for what could be quickly and easily resolved should you know how.
Step 1: Preventative measures
First of all, you should do all that you can to pest-proof your property so that you should never need to go through the following steps. But how do you go about doing that? First, you must get into the mind of a pest.
- For example: cockroaches love damp and dirty spaces. So, be sure to keep your home clean and endeavour to remove any damp spots. Check your sinks for leaks and ensure that everything is kept dry at all times.
- You should also take out the trash of an evening, or at the very least, keep your trash stored in a closed bin. If left exposed, you’ll invariably attract pests.
- Clear up any food remnants in your kitchen and wipe the sides down after use.
- Check your property thoroughly for any cracks and holes both inside and outside. Seal these up and you’ll prevent pests (for the most part) from making it into your property.
- Keep the whole house tidy and free of clutter. Nesting materials such as waste paper and other debris should be cleared out of any areas that don’t see much use, such as the basement or attic (this doubles up as fire safety as well).
Provided that you follow these steps, you shouldn’t run into any problems. However, you can take all of the care in the world, and still encounter pest problems, so be warned.
Step 2: Stay calm and contact your local pest control company
It’s important not to panic! Don’t worry. There are plenty of pest control companies (aka, exterminators), many of which offer a 24/7 call out service. So, if you are terrified and you don’t feel safe in your home, then we would advise vacating the premises and calling for professional assistance.
Of course, you’re welcome to try some DIY methods, however we would not recommend it. Pests can be dangerous, and you’re better off using the professionals if you want the threat removed safely and efficiently. Contact a reputable company such as Expert Pest Control, and you’ll be able to move back into your property in no-time!