How to Move to Canada If You’re an American

Fellow Americans, let’s be honest—it’s a particularly bad time to be American. Not only is stress at an all-time high, but the current state of the economy and the government is putting most people on edge. According to the American Psychological Association (APA), up to 80 percent of Americans say that the country’s future is a “significant source of stress.”

So, it’s not too surprising that a number of us are considering metaphorically jumping ship. According to YouGov, 31 percent of Americans say that they are either “somewhat” or “strongly” interested in moving North if the 2020 election doesn’t go their way.

But, what does it take to move to Canada? Check out these things to consider when moving to Canada:

Is this a long-term decision?

The first thing to consider is longevity. For example, is this a permanent decision you’ve thought a lot about, or are you just considering giving life in Canada a try? Have you talked to an immigration lawyer or an immigration representative? By finding the best immigration consultants and discussing your expression of interest, you can find the best path for moving to Canada.

Hire an Immigration Consultant

By hiring an immigration consultant in Canada, you can find the ideal option for your individual needs with the best immigration consultants available. For example, there may be an immigration program available to you that could make the transition faster and easier. Or, there may be ways for you to qualify for the express entry pool and you can ask how long to expect to wait for your invitation to apply (ITA). The best immigration consultants at Green Light Immigration can also give you information on taking the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

There is a lot to consider when moving to a completely different country. Especially if you have a family. Will you and your spouse both be able to find satisfying roles in the community? What about work, school (for you or your children), or needing to care for an aging parent?

Here are some options to discuss with your immigration consultant:

Work Permits

Whether you wish to find a new job in Canada, or you wish to move and still do your current job; your immigration consultant can explain your best options. Generally, priority is given to people who have been sponsored by their employer. However, Canada has eleven skilled workers programs and ten provincial workers programs to help foreign workers find jobs. Your immigration representative can assist you in knowing which permits will work best for your individual needs and/or when you can take the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Study Permits

If you desire to attend school in Canada, getting a study visa could be a good option for you. Keep in mind that you will also need a work permit if you will require a job while you complete your studies. By hiring a Canadian immigration consultant, you can find inside information about what it’s like to study in Canada, which school(s) are available to you, information on scholarships, and how to change your program of study if that’s applicable to you.

Business Immigration

If you have the funds to start a business in Canada or you wish to invest in an already established Canadian business, this could be an option for you.

Family Sponsorship

This avenue is only effective if you have family already residing in Canada. The person sponsoring must be a registered citizen or registered under the Canadian Indian Act. If you meet the qualifications to sponsor a family member consider hiring an immigration consultant to explore the best steps to take. Examples of family members who can be sponsored include a spouse, a common-law partner, dependent children, parents, grandparents, and adopted children.

Bonus tip: consider seeking advice from an immigration lawyer at a law firm with experience with judicial review in Canada.


There are multiple different kinds of visas through the government of Canada. This is why hiring a Canadian immigration consultant is the best option when considering making the move up North. This way, you can see all your options and pick the quickest and easiest way to make your transition easier. If you’re in good standing in your community, there shouldn’t be much problem passing the immigration consultants of Canada Regulatory council’s protocols.

Permanent Residence

According to Green Light Canada’s website, the status of permanent residence is granted by the Canadian government and gives the individual the ability to live and work in Canada without limitations. Permanent resident status gives you “many of the same rights and responsibilities as a Canadian citizen.” Be sure to discuss the many programs you can go through to take this route with your Canadian immigration consultant.