Most houses get untidy after a while, even if you try to keep up with regular cleaning. You get busy with career or family responsibilities, you skip a routine cleaning or two, and before you know it, your windows, floors, and furniture look disgusting.
If you have the time and patience, or if you truly enjoy cleaning, you might just dedicate a day or a weekend to catching up on the housework. But you might also consider hiring a professional house cleaner, who can get things in order on your behalf in a matter of hours.
The question is, are these services worth the money?
The Benefits of Hiring a Professional Cleaner
Let’s start by covering some of the biggest benefits of hiring a professional cleaner:
- Hard-to-clean areas. Most homeowners can cover the basics of cleaning on their own. They can vacuum carpets, sweep floors, wipe down surfaces, and give the bathroom a once-over. But there are more in-depth areas of cleaning that require expertise and/or finesse, such as deep-cleaning the grout between tiles in your kitchen. A professional cleaner will get into more nooks and crannies in your home, and will treat your home with more professional precision. It’s almost impossible to clean the same things in the same ways on your own.
- Time savings. Most people seek a professional cleaner as a way to save time. Even simple chores around the house, like dusting and surface-level cleaning, can take hours of time. If you’re trying to clean the house from top to bottom, it might burn an entire weekend. Hiring a professional cleaner means you don’t have to spend that time on your own, and can spend that time doing more productive or more enjoyable things.
- Stress reduction. If you’re like most homeowners, you probably stress when your house isn’t in order. That level of stress increases with the urgency of your cleaning needs; for example, if you’re about to sell the house or if you’re going to host a major party in a week, worrying about the house cleaning can create distress and anxiety. Hiring a professional cleaner can instantly put those worries to bed.
- Professional equipment. The intensity and quality of your clean is partially dependent on the equipment you’re using. While there are many good cleaning products and supplies on the market, most homeowners don’t have access to professional-grade equipment. A professional house cleaning service will bring their own high-tech equipment and commercial cleaning products to give your home a deeper scrub.
- Quality assurance. When working with a professional house cleaning service with a good reputation, you’ll also have some level of quality assurance. If a professional comes into your home and misses a window, or forgets to cover a specific room, you can contact them about the discrepancy, and they’ll likely return to resolve the situation. For the most part, you’ll be guaranteed to get what you pay for, which is better than simply relying on your own abilities.
Is It Worth the Money?
These benefits are great, but you’ll have to pay to receive them. Are they really worth the money?
The answer to this question will vary, but you can find the answer for your own situation by asking these important questions:
- What’s the going rate? There are many different tiers of cleaning services, with different levels of experience. Some will have better equipment, more experienced employees, and more intensive services, which will obviously cost more. Some will try to charge a lower rate to appeal to more customers. Some areas will also have higher average prices than others. Shop around and see if there are any rates within your budget.
- How much do you hate cleaning? This factor is purely subjective. How much do you really hate cleaning? If it’s something you don’t mind doing, the value of a cleaning service will be lower than if you’d rather be doing literally anything else other than clean.
- How important is your clean house? You also need to consider your core motivation for having the house cleaned in the first place. Are you just trying to get things in order because you personally prefer a clean house? Or are you getting the house ready to sell? In the latter case, a professional cleaning may be the far superior option.
For many families and individuals, hiring a professional cleaner is a wise investment. Not only will you save time and be less stressed, but you’ll also end up with a much more thoroughly cleaned home. Investigate the cleaning services in your area to see if there’s a service within your price range, and give it a try if you’re in doubt about whether it’s a good investment or not.